Saturday, November 10, 2007

Jonathan

So quiet.
So moderate.
Silent, really. Sometimes invisible.
His left hand knew not what his right hand was doing.

He saw God in the little things, and in Nature.

I learned so much from his quiet example: How to take time to do a thing zenfully (which I learned was not equal to Buddahism. It's the enjoyment of the quiet process). He practiced a kind of Zen Christianity.

When our house was hit by three hurricanes, he was there.
When our first child was born on the other side of the world, He was there with my sister.

He didn't do big groups and lots of noise. Neither do I.
He loved his daughters, his nieces and nephews, and his wife.
He dotted every 'I' and crossed every t, and so left things in order for his family.

He will be sorely missed. Jonathan was a quiet friend who showed his care rather than speak it. He liked long walks and contemplation. He could be found at any family gathering quietly befriending a niece or a nephew, passing on his love for nature and his quiet ideas of enjoyment.

What a sad loss. Heaven's gain is our loss, and yet I know he's with the Lord. I know he's marvelling at the Creator who was revealed dimly on earth, but who is author of all things bright and good.

Jonathan, my dear brother and friend. I will miss you. You did such a beautiful job loving your girls quietly and practically. You were a faithful husband and friend. I know you had questions and that you had obstacles that you just couldn't surmount in your short time, but you left a beautiful legacy. Also, Jonathan, I shall miss your quaint ways, your meticulously neat handwriting, and your nearly immoderate moderation.

To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

Jonathan, I do so hope your passing didn't hurt. What a decisive end. I don't think you knew what hit you. We all hope and pray that you didn't feel the crushing pain, my friend.

We're going to see your body today, Jonathan. I know that's not you. But we'll see it, and we'll be there with Diana and Sally. Your church community is actively loving and providing for the needs of Diana, Isi and Lina. We came to help, but they're cooking, they're cleaning, they're running errands and mowing the lawn. Patio furniture and a space heater appeared on your pack patio. You would have liked the new area..

We took a walk as you would have, and stopped to admire a creek, the fall colors and an acorn. Holland took pictures. Isi and Linda followed the path that you cut to the creek. Rest in peace my dear brother and friend enjoy the Lord. I'm so happy you'll see your mother, whom I know you missed, and Mami Loli who's been up there for 20 years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, Evelyn. Your heart pours through. It's evident that you cared a great deal for Jonathan. I'm sorry for your loss. You and your family are in our prayers. I love you, my dear Sister in Christ. (((HUGS)))

linda said...

in the midst of thinking of jon in heaven, and finally meeting his Saviour, i had forgotten who else he would see there! of course Abuelita!

and i finally honored your request and finally posted again and linked this blo to my own. yet another way we can stay connected, which is important. it's one lesson we can learn more fuly from jon's example.

Peter L said...

You write so eloquently, I feel like I know Jonathan. As I mentioned earlier in another blog, show his love to his children. And while you are at it, rejoice that he is present with the Lord.