Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Hello 2007!

Dear Readers,
THANK YOU for not giving up on me while I was busy being a holiday hostess! I'm still at it and I'm going to miss my crowd. We're having such fun. The holidays, to me, are what tax season is to a CPA. It's my 'high season'. I'll have to be careful not to fall into a slump of despondency once it's all over. Fortunately, I have a friend who wants to fly out to see me in mid-January.

One thing I have enjoyed most is the interaction between generations. I kept thinking, "One generation serves the other." (I know this is biblical. . . a concordance will give you the reference.)
We cooked for each other, cleaned for each other. We stopped and listened and spoke to each other and our lives are all the richer for these interaction.

A snapshot memory I have is the younger generation's first act of the New Year. They sat around our little fire pit by the pool, talking in a circle. We'd peek out at them every so often, because they made such a nice picture. At midnight, they led out the happiest, most robust cheer and held up their champagne glasses of sparkling grape juice. But, before they did that. They opened the New Year asking God for His blessing. What an encouragement those seven young people are to us. We love them so dearly. . .

I feel that I have been surrounded by all sorts of love in this past week. There is thoughtfulness and fellowship all around me; the last two remaning slices of my friend, Susan's, apple cake, dishes on the drying rack that I didn't wash, games waiting to be played once again, the dustpan (not put away after the last use). Our kitchen now boasts two new goldfish in a one gallon aquarium that our daughter gave her Daddy for Christmas. He loves it. There's so much to be thankful for.

In a few moments, they will all return from their errands. They're travelling en masse.

But, I promised a cyber friend a recipe. He ordinarily hates spinach, but is willing to give this hors d'eurve recipe a try.

(Jim U, I got this recipe from a friend I made when my husband was stationed in Okinawa, Japan with the USMC. They were a hit at the get-togethers)

Patrice's Spinach Puff
(this recipe can be halved, but I've never done it, because they freeze so well.)

2 pkgs. frozen chopped spinach, cooked in microwave, and squeezed dry.
2 small onions, finely chopped
1 8oz pkg Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing
1 C of melted butter (2 sticks)
1 C grated Parmesan cheese
1 T garlic salt
1 T black pepper
1/2 t thyme
6 eggs, beaten

Mix all ingredients together (you'll probably have to use your hands to work all of the ingredients together evenly).
Shape into 1" balls.
Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

*to freeze:
Do not bake.
Lay wax paper on baking sheet.
Roll balls and space evenly.
Put tray in freezer and freeze.
Transfer into a gallon freezer zip lock bag.

To bake:
Take desired amount out of freezer, placed on ungreased cookie sheet and allow to thaw a little.
Bake according to instructions.

Bon appetit, jim U!

More later.
Love to all.

4 comments:

Bike Bubba said...

You're going to inspire me to try my hand at a souffle. Also, as a fellow goldfish owner; probably better to have those goldfish in a little bit more water, or at least change it out pretty often. I've found that my kids' goldfish seem to foul their water and get fin rot pretty quickly if they're too cramped.

($10 for a water tester kit is a great investment, too!)

Cafeglover said...

Thanks for the comment! Our fish have been acting funny. The water is clean, but they're not swimming much, and the big one is staying, nose down, by the gravel.

Could it be a she?
Might she be pregnant?

Good to hear from you, Bike Bubba.

Bike Bubba said...

Dunno--I've never had any of mine have babies, though I know that somewhere, some fish must be doing so! All I know is that if I don't keep the filter going and replace water from time to time (it's great for house plants, BTW), it gets really yucky really quick.

Anonymous said...

Evelyn-

I'm trying to reach your husband. I'm a friend from BU / USMC. We're planning a reunion for our NROTC Class, June 15-17 in Boston. If interested please e-mail your contact info to src.usmc@gmail.com

Thx.